"I used to walk into a room full of people and wonder if they liked me… now I look around and wonder if I like them."
The Fine Art of Smudging
An Aboriginal Canadian friend of mine who teaches at the Whispering Lodge in Toronto was explaining to me how physical or emotional healing cannot take place until the person is cleansed of any of the following conditions:
- Emotional conditions such as resentment, bitterness, envy, jealousy and guilt
- Negative thoughts about others or one’s past or future
- Negative emotions such as grief, hatred, desire 4) Bad or evil spirits
- Attachments or negative energy sent to us from other people
In most Aboriginal traditions, a sweat lodge, basically a tent or teepee or cave filled with smoke and heat, is used to remedy the sick person of these conditions. In ancient Rome, buildings called purgatoriums were used for the same purpose. These smoke and heat filled places were considered sacred spaces in which the spirits or God could lift negative entities and energies from an individual without interference with others.
Many indigenous cultures throughout the world use burning herbs, plants and resins to accomplish the same purpose. In some cultures the smoke is taken into one’s hands and rubbed over the body to blacken it. This is where the modern day practice got its nickname — smudging.
Below is a list of common herb, plants, grasses and resins that are commonly used in smudging ceremonies. You can light these substances yourself and carry a bundle of the substance around your home in a counter-clockwise circle to cleanse your space. I highly recommend cleansing the body outside, however, as I have found that sage can burn very fast and create a lot of rapid whirling smoke that easily sets off the fire alarm.
- Sage Sprigs - the most common substance used for cleansing is sage. The word sage comes from the Latin word Salvia which means, “to heal.” There are also varieties of sage, which are from the Artemisia family of plants. This includes mugwort which s used for cleansing and protection. White sage is used for cleansing and protection. Combining branches of pine and white sages together and burning them is used to attract prosperity.
- Cedar and Juniper branches - These evergreen boughs have historically been used to help cleanse, purify and protect ones belongings. Sometimes brooms are made from them to use the smoke “sweep” to cleanse a home during a house blessing.
- Sweetgrass - This musty smelling grass is used to drive out bad influences and draw good influences into the home. It is often used after a prayer or ritual to “hold” the magic” in its place.<br.
- Copal - this aromatic plant resin is mainly used in South American rituals. The touch of the strongly scented smoke from burning copal is thought to cleanse and purify any object or person.
- Frankincense and Myrrh - these “biblical” resins are used in Africa, the Middle East and Europe for ceremonies and rituals. Burned together they are thought to balance yin and yang, or the masculine and feminine energies in a place or dwelling. Either is thought to draw blessings into a home.
- Tobacco - Tobacco is burned to float prayers upwards to the Creator where they will be heard and answered. Burning a tobacco along with sage, cedar or sweet grass is thought to enhance the magical intentions of the smudge.
Smudges and resins can be bought commercially from occult, new age and gift shops. I usually put the branches, plants or resins in the bowl and blacken my hands and face with it. While doing this I pray for protection, purification and blessings from above. If healing another person or purifying a room I will sometimes use a feather or a branch to waft the smoke in the desired direction. Smudging is not all hooey and voodoo. The practice is also thought to created negative ions in the air that remove static and create a positive atmosphere. Not only do people usually feel good afterwards, it also creates a space for the free flowing of positive energies and prayers
About the Author
Samantha Stevens was a professional psychic at http://www.psychicrealm.com for many years. Read more of her articles at http://www.newagenotebook.com If you wish to buy Samantha’s books about metaphysics click here http://www.insomniacpress.com/author.php?id=110
5 Daily Detox Tips by Young and Raw Resident H.N, Ali Washington:
Your body is one big detox machine. Every single body system has a detox organ, and when your body is functioning optimally, you will be removing toxins from your body at all times.
Your detox organs include your liver, your colon, your lungs, and even your skin. If you feel like enhancing your bodies ability to remove wastes, without taking on a full blown detox, here are some quick tips for ways to help detox your body every day.
1. Drink lukewarm water with lemon juice first thing in the morning. - This will cause your gallbladder to spasm, pushing bile through your liver, which will kick start your bowels to release. This is an awesome way to kick start your main internal detox organs, first thing. Bonus points for drinking at least another liter or more throughout the rest of your day.
2. Have a green drink - green juice and green smoothies will both help to oxygenate your system, flood your cells with nutrients, and nourish your organs. Green juices and smoothies will help your red blood cells work better (by providing them with oxygen, they will more effectively be able to carry nutrients to your cells, and toxins away from them). There is no end to the benefits of green drinks, and they are something that you can enjoy on a daily basis to give your body a boost.
3. Dry Skin Brushing - A dry skin brush is inexpensive, and to brush your whole body can take as little as 10 minutes. You will be stimulating your lymphatic system as you brush, which is a very important detox system. Your lymph system deals a lot with killing off pathogens, and the better it works, the better you will feel.
4. Do 20 minutes of physical activity. - Getting moving will help to cleanse the skin through sweating, it will help to move your lymph fluid, and it will even help to stimulate your bowels. All of these things help you to get those toxins out of your body faster. This burst of activity will also set you up with happy chemicals called endorphins that will make you feel better for the rest of your day.
5. Stress less - I know this may not seem like it has anything to do with detox, but stress is one of the most taxing things for our bodies. Also keep in mind that when you are stressed, your body will be in fight or flight mode, instead of being in healing, and therefore cleansing mode. Take time to sit and breath deeply. Write in a journal. Go for a walk in nature. Sit and meditate. Do whatever you need to do to take your stress levels down at least once a day and you will feel better for it!
- Magic Defense
- House protection
- Spell breaker
- Strenght and Courage
i hope everyone realizes that Drax literally drunk dialed Ronan and almost got them all killed
The Buddha goes on to talk about the three poisons: greed, and anger, and ignorance, and how the three poisons are what is making the fire, and the way out of doing this is not to deny the three poisons, but to recognize that if you turn them around, you come to their opposites.
Instead of greed, you have generosity; instead of anger, you have compassion; and instead of ignorance, you have wisdom."
Trying to make a better
If you face your demons, you confront your fears or something that you have been trying hard to avoid. Once you face them and deal with them they are not a problem anymore and you can move on without fear.